Welcome to the Genomics Student Lab!
A different way of doing an internship
A unique connection between industry and the university
The Genomics Student Lab is a research training lab for and by students where the University of Amsterdam is directly linked to non-academic partners in the various sectors such as diagnostics, pharmaceutics, plant-breeding companies, etc...
It combines academic environment and innovative questions from the non-academic environment in a way that gives both students and external partners many advantages.
Advantages for students:
- Experience working in the frame of a project where often a non-academic partner defines the research question;
- Potential experience with R&D and with scientists of industry;
- Preparation to a career within or outside of academia;
- Experience with functioning in a multidisciplinary project;
- Learning to deal with (new) own responsibilities within a project;
- Enjoying the availability of experts from diverse topics and domains;
- Being also guided in personal awareness regarding skills, ambition, education and career choices;
- A distinguishing educational edge compared to other students.
Advantages for companies:
- Having the opportunity to contribute to education in the direction of a career in industry;
- Meeting and educating potential future employees at an early stage;
- Defining your own research projects that will be executed at the university;
- Setting up research project independent from the topics of interest of UvA research groups;
- Getting interesting results for free;
- Gaining natural access to academic experts and their knowledge;